Shipton Moyne school came into being after Elizabeth Hodges, who died in 1724, left £5 a year in her will for a school to teach the poor of Shipton Moyne. The original school was in Punters Cottage (now Cranmore Cottage, 60 The Street) and it opened in 1739.
The school only had six children in 1818, when the poor lacked sufficient means of education. In 1819 it was decided to admit seven children for up to four years each. In 1825 thirty-nine children attended the school which was on the National Plan in 1827. In 1833 it had thirty-three children supported partly by subscriptions and fees from a few parents.
By then, the school was so dilapidated that, although it was repaired, T.G.B. Estcourt, owner of the Estcourt Estate, provided a more convenient site nearer the church. Aided by a grant from the National Society, the new school was completed in 1843. In 1855 the National school in which a winter evening school was also held, was supported principally from subscriptions and pence, but also received the Hodges and Nowell education charities. Its two departments had a total of seventy-five pupils and in 1906 the attendance was seventy-three.
The number of pupils dropped from sixty-eight in 1911, when the school was called the Shipton Moyne C of E School, to thirty-eight in 1936. After reorganisation of the Hodges educational charities in 1937, the school received £5 a year for maintenance and the parish a third of the remaining income, which in the early 1970s was approximately £21. The school was closed in 1971 and the pupils were transferred to Tetbury.